Get to Know Caleb Cox- Administrator, Handicapping & Course Rating
Caleb Cox came to the Idaho Golf Association from Hillcrest Country Club where he served as an Assistant Golf Professional.
How were you introduced to the game of golf?
– My grandpa Curt took me out to hit golf balls for the first time when I was about 9 years old. I can still remember that experience to this day. I was instantly hooked and couldn’t get enough. I was constantly nagging my dad to go with him when he would go play.
When did you become interested in golf administration?
– I became interested in golf as a profession in high school, but didn’t actually take my first job as an assistant until about 5 years ago.
You’ve worked at a few different clubs. Where were they located?
– I held a summer job in course maintenance at Maxwell Golf Course in Abilene, TX. My first Assistant position was at Oak Tree Country Club in Edmond, OK. My most recent position was at Hillcrest Country Club here in Boise.
What’s your most memorable moment working at the club level?
– I had the opportunity to work as a Hole Captain at the 2014 U.S. Senior Open at Oak Tree National in Edmond, OK. To be a part of such a large team of people and performing a small role in such a monumental event was truly one of the greatest experiences of my golf career.
If you had to name one thing the game of golf has taught you, what would that be?
– Success is more often achieved with patience and planning, rather than hasty decisions and taking daring chances.
What’s your favorite thing about Idaho? How is it different from the other states that you have lived in?
– My family and I absolutely love the climate of Idaho, and the chances to participate in a wide variety of seasonal outdoor activities. Idaho is a true hidden gem in those ways. Being able to live in a place that actually has four seasons and no tornados is truly a great way to live!
What excites you most about being on staff at the Idaho Golf Association?
– I am excited most to travel around the state and see the great beauty and playing challenges that Idaho golf courses have to offer.
Tags: Caleb Cox, Course Rating, Handicapping, Slideshow